If you missed the first episode about What to Expect in Navy Enlisted Boot Camp, listen to the episode here. Today, we will talk about what you need to know about shoes, food, church, family, graduation, and what you need to know about the UCMJ.
Dr. John shares his big tip for boot camp mindset, along with how to prepare for the mental stamina you’ll need for boot camp, and what to expect day-to-day and during graduation.
You’ll learn about the transition after graduation day and what the UCMJ means for you during your military career.
Here are some things we covered in this episode:
- Why shoes are a critical piece of your gear
- Why you should learn how to maintain and polish your shoes
- How much you should expect to run in your boots
- What meal times are like at boot camp
- Why you will need to use hand signals during mealtime
- What you can do to prepare for the meal regimen
- What to expect during church services
- Communication with your family during boot camp
- How to prepare for the mental stamina
- How familiar you need to be with the UCMJ at what it means to you
- What to expect when you graduate boot camp
- What is the transition after graduation
- Dr. John’s big tip for boot camp mindset
- Military spouses tune in to Laura’s podcast, The Military Spouse Careers & Business podcast
- The Warriors Creed podcast is sponsored by Operation Freelance, a 501(c)(3) nonprofit organization founded by Dr. John and Laura Briggs that provide veterans and military spouses training to break into entrepreneurship.
Connect With Laura:
Meet Dr. John Briggs:
Dr. John Briggs joined the military in 1997, first enlisted then went through medical school and served as a medical officer. He served in the Navy for 14 years and is now a civilian doctor. In the Warriors Creed podcast Dr. John shares what military life is like, what you should be prepared for, life as an officer, and the challenges of transitioning out of the military into veteran life. You’ll learn behind the scenes knowledge of what it’s like to be in the armed forces and how to use that information to make decisions about your career.
Dr. John and Laura founded Operation Freelance, a 501(c)(3) nonprofit organization founded by Dr. John and Laura Briggs that provide veterans and military spouses training to break into entrepreneurship.
Laura Briggs is empowering the freelance generation. Through her public speaking, coaching, and writing, she helps freelancers build the business of their dreams without sacrificing all their time, family, or sanity. Laura burned out as an inner-city middle school teacher before becoming an accidental freelancer with a Google search for “how to become a freelance writer.” Since then, she’s become a contributor to Entrepreneur, Business Insider, and Writer’s Weekly. She worked for more than 300 clients around the world including Microsoft, Truecar, and the Mobile Marketing Association. She’s delivered two TEDx talks on the power of the freelance economy for enabling freedom and flexibility and how it’s being used to address the technical skills gap in the U.S. Laura is the host of the Advanced Freelancing podcast, a sought-after public speaker on the gig and digital freelance economy, and a freelance coach focused on aspiring six-figure freelancers. Laura’s books, courses, and coaching have reached over 10,000 people.
As a military spouse, Laura is passionate about serving her community and founded Operation Freelance, a 501(c)(3) nonprofit organization that teaches veterans and military spouses how to become freelancers and start their own business.